2015 LOUISIANA LANDMARKS SOCIETY AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN HISTORIC PRESERVATION
The project is an adaptive reuse of the shell of the circa 1930 Kaufman's Department Store to provide the new home for the The Albert and Tina Small Center of Collaborative Design. The Small Center is the community design center of the Tulane School of Architecture.The renovated structure provides flexible and adaptable spaces for deign studios, public events, collaboration and fabrication.
The existing structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The project qualifies for historic preservation tax credits and the design complies with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Structures. Construction was completed in Summer of 2014 in time for the fall semester. The first Small Center studio class began the custom fit of furniture and features of their own design. Future studios will continue to add their own design imprint.
CCWIV & DAVID FARY / color
CCWIV / Black & White
Historic New Orleans Collection / historic